Who should not take Zyprexa Relprevv?

Older people with dementia-related psychosis should not take Zyprexa Relprevv (olanzapine), an antipsychotic injection used for the long-term treatment of schizophrenia. For these people, Zyprexa Relprevv raises the risk of death; it is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for dementia-related psychosis. It is also not approved for children under the age of 18. Women who are breastfeeding should not take Zyprexa Relprevv.

Certain medical conditions may make Zyprexa Relprevv more risky for you. Talk to your doctor if you have:
  • heart problems
  • a history of seizures
  • diabetes or high blood sugar levels
  • high cholesterol or triglyceride levels
  • liver problems
  • low or high blood pressure
  • a history of strokes or “mini-strokes” (transient ischemic attacks, or TIAs)
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • narrow-angle glaucoma
  • an enlarged prostate (in men)
  • bowel obstruction
  • a history of breast cancer
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant; it is not known if Zyprexa Relprevv will harm a developing fetus. Finally, let your doctor know if you have thoughts of suicide or harming yourself. These conditions or situations do not necessarily mean you can’t take Zyprexa Relprevv. Your doctor will assess whether the drug's benefits outweigh its risks in your particular case.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
What are the side effects of olanzapine extended release?
Side effects of olanzapine extended release injectable suspension include dizziness, drowsiness,...
Can I take olanzapine during pregnancy?
Can I give olanzapine to my teenager?