When should I call my doctor if I am taking Zyprexa?

If you're taking the antipsychotic medication Zyprexa (olanzapine), you should get medical help if your symptoms get worse, you have an unusual reaction to the drug, you feel out of control or start thinking about hurting yourself or someone else or you develop any of these potential side effects:
  • trouble breathing or swallowing
  • extreme thirst and/or hunger
  • heart palpitations (fast heartbeat)
  • fever, chills, sore throat
  • the need to urinate frequently
  • uncontrollable movements in your face, hands, arms or legs
  • painful or prolonged erections
  • restlessness
  • seizures (convulsions)
  • rash
  • stiffness, spasms
  • swelling of face or legs
  • trembling
  • weight gain
Let your doctor know if any of the following side effects concern you, become extreme or don't go away:
  • changes in sexual desire
  • constipation
  • drowsiness
  • dizziness, light-headedness, fainting (symptoms of low blood pressure)
You should also call your doctor if:
  • You discover you're pregnant. There's no evidence that Zyprexa is safe for a developing fetus.
  • You want to go off Zyprexa. Don't stop taking it without your doctor's okay, except in an emergency. Your symptoms will return if you stop taking Zyprexa.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

What should I know about olanzapine before taking it?
Before taking olanzapine, you should know that it might make you dizzy or slow your reaction tim...
What is olanzapine?
Olanzapine, which is sold under the brand name Zyprexa, is used to treat the psychiatric conditi...
What are the side effects of olanzapine extended release?
Side effects of olanzapine extended release injectable suspension include dizziness, drowsiness,...
Can I take olanzapine during pregnancy?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...