What should I know about Zyprexa Relprevv before getting my first shot?

Before taking Zyprexa Relprevv (olanzapine), an injected medication for schizophrenia, you should understand the risks and benefits of this treatment. Because of the danger of a side effect called post-injection delirium/sedation syndrome, or PDSS -- which can include sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, seizures and coma -- you cannot get this medication unless you and your healthcare providers are enrolled in a special risk reduction program, the Zyprexa Relprevv Patient Care Program. As part of this program, you will receive your injection in a healthcare facility, and a healthcare professional will observe you for three hours after each injection.

You should know that elderly people with dementia-related psychosis have an increased risk of death if they're treated with antipsychotic medication. As a result, Zyprexa Relprevv is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of dementia-related psychosis in elderly people.

Regardless of age, Zyprexa Relprevv can cause your blood sugar levels to spike. Follow your doctor's instructions about monitoring your blood sugar. Zyprexa Relprevv can cause a number of other serious side effects too: It can raise cholesterol levels, cause weight gain and make your blood pressure drop, causing dizziness or fainting. This is just a partial list of possible side effects; your doctor can give you a more complete one.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

What should I avoid with olanzapine extended release injections?
Olanzapine extended release injectable suspension may cause changes in your blood sugar levels a...
What are the side effects of olanzapine?
Olanzapine can cause side effects, some of which may be serious. You also should seek emergency ...
How should I take olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
Can I smoke while taking olanzapine?