What should I know before my child uses Zyprexa?

Zyprexa (olanzapine) is not approved for children under the age of 13. It's an antipsychotic medication that's prescribed to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in teens ages 13 and up and adults. Zyprexa and similar drugs are given to children only as part of a psychological, educational and social therapy program.

Zyprexa has a number of side effects and can cause or worsen other medical problems. Doctors typically will try other medications first before prescribing Zyprexa to a child. Studies suggest that, compared with adult users, teens who take Zyprexa gain more weight, feel drowsier and have greater increases in their blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels (risk factors for heart disease). They also see greater increases in their levels of certain liver enzymes, which could indicate an increased risk of liver disease, and of a hormone that could cause menstrual or breast changes in a girl and poor bone density in a boy or a girl.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

Who should not take olanzapine extended release injectable suspension?
People with dementia should not take olanzapine extended release injectable suspension, because ...
What should I avoid with olanzapine extended release injections?
Olanzapine extended release injectable suspension may cause changes in your blood sugar levels a...
How should I take olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?