What is olanzapine?

Olanzapine, which is sold under the brand name Zyprexa, is used to treat the psychiatric conditions schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Schizophrenia is a disorder that affects how a person functions, thinks, and experiences emotions. Bipolar disorder causes a person to go back and forth between periods of unusually high energy and periods of depression. A type of drug called an atypical antipsychotic, olanzapine treats these conditions by affecting the chemical processes in the brain. Olanzapine can be injected or taken as a tablet that you swallow.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

Can I give olanzapine to my teenager?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
How should I take olanzapine?
What is olanzapine extended release injectable suspension?
Olanzapine extended release injectable suspension is a prescription injection used to treat schi...
Can my elderly parent take olanzapine for dementia-related psychosis?