Can I smoke while taking olanzapine?

Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to control symptoms of schizophrenia, such as delusions, hallucinations, unusual thinking and strange or unpredictable behavior and emotions. It is also used to control depression and mania in people with bipolar disorder (manic depressive disorder). 

For olanzapine to be effective you need a steady concentration circulating in the blood, which is influenced by age and gender and state of health. But tobacco tends to increase the removal of the drug from your bloodstream by 40% when compared to nonsmokers, and that can ultimately influence the concentration of olanzapine you receive.

Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have increased or decreased your smoking during treatment.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

What is olanzapine?
Olanzapine, which is sold under the brand name Zyprexa, is used to treat the psychiatric conditi...
What should I avoid with olanzapine extended release injections?
Olanzapine extended release injectable suspension may cause changes in your blood sugar levels a...
What should I know about olanzapine before taking it?
Before taking olanzapine, you should know that it might make you dizzy or slow your reaction tim...
Can my elderly parent take olanzapine for dementia-related psychosis?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...