What should I know about olanzapine before taking it?

Before taking olanzapine, you should know that it might make you dizzy or slow your reaction time. You should be cautious when driving or performing other activities that require your close attention until you know how olanzapine will affect you. You should also be careful when standing up after sitting or lying down, because you may become dizzy. Smoking cigarettes can decrease the effectiveness of this medication, and drinking alcohol can increase the likelihood of side effects.

There is a risk of allergic reaction or other side effects when taking olanzapine. You should discuss all of your allergies with your doctor beforehand. Also, olanzapine tablets contain phenylalanine, so you should not use these if you have a condition known as phenylketonuria (PKU).

Some medications might have serious interactions with olanzapine, so it's important to discuss all medications and supplements that you take regularly or occasionally with your doctor. The following medications might conflict with olanzapine or affect the dosage you take: anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, other medications used to treat mental illness, antihistamines, anti-seizure medications, carbamazepine (Tegretol), dopamine agonists, fluoroquinolone antibiotics, fluvoxamine (Luvox), ipratropium (Atrovent), medications for high blood pressure, medications used to treat irritable bowel disease, motion sickness medications, omeprazole (Prilosec), medications used to treat Parkinson's disease, rifampin (Rifadin), sedatives, sleeping pills, ticlopidine (Ticlid), tranquilizers, ulcer medications, and medications used to treat urinary disorders.

Certain medical conditions may also prevent you from using olanzapine or affect the dosage you take. You should talk to your doctor before taking olanzapine if you have the following conditions or have had them in the past: dementia, drug addiction, liver disease, diabetes or a family history of diabetes, stroke or mini-stroke, high levels of cholesterol or triglycerides in your blood, heart disease (including heart attack or heart failure), irregular heartbeat, high or low blood pressure, low white blood cell count, swallowing difficulty, breast cancer, narrow-angle glaucoma, epilepsy or seizures, enlarged prostate, difficulty urinating, and bowel disorders.  If you are pregnant, discuss the potential risks of using olanzapine with your doctor. You should not breastfeed while taking olanzapine.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

How should I take olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
Can my elderly parent take olanzapine for dementia-related psychosis?
What are the side effects of olanzapine extended release?
Side effects of olanzapine extended release injectable suspension include dizziness, drowsiness,...
Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?