Is Zyprexa Relprevv safe for older people with dementia and psychosis?

Zyprexa Relprevv (olanzapine), a treatment for schizophrenia, is not safe for older people with dementia-related psychosis. Older people with dementia sometimes experience symptoms of psychosis such as confusion, memory loss and loss of touch with reality, but treating them with Zyprexa Relprevv can increase the risk of death. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires this drug to carry a "black box" warning against its use for older people with dementia-related psychosis.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

Who should not take olanzapine extended release injectable suspension?
People with dementia should not take olanzapine extended release injectable suspension, because ...
How should I take olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
What is olanzapine?
Olanzapine, which is sold under the brand name Zyprexa, is used to treat the psychiatric conditi...
Can my elderly parent take olanzapine for dementia-related psychosis?