How should I take olanzapine?

Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to control symptoms of schizophrenia, such as delusions, hallucinations, unusual thinking and strange or unpredictable behavior and emotions. It is also used to control depression and mania in people with bipolar disorder (manic depressive disorder). It is approved for people over 13 years of age.

In order for olanzapine to work, it needs to be taken consistently every day as prescribed by your doctor. Olanzapine is taken with or without food. The orally disintegrating tablet dissolves quickly in the mouth without drinking liquid. This may also be taken with or without food.

To start you may receive five to 10 milligrams (mg.) taken once a day for several days until your doctor knows how it will affect you. Your dose may be increased by five mg. at intervals not to exceed the maximum dose of 20 mg a day. The starting and maximum dose is lower in adolescents, starting at 2.5 or  five mg., building to 10 mg. a day.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

What are the side effects of olanzapine extended release?
Side effects of olanzapine extended release injectable suspension include dizziness, drowsiness,...
Can I take olanzapine during pregnancy?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
What are the side effects of olanzapine?
Olanzapine can cause side effects, some of which may be serious. You also should seek emergency ...
Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?