How can I minimize the side effects of Zyprexa?

The antipsychotic medication Zyprexa (olanzapine) can cause dizziness and light-headedness when you sit up or stand, so take it slow: Rest your feet on the floor for a few minutes before you stand up all the way. Alcohol can make this side effect worse, so don't drink while you're on Zyprexa.

If you find that your mouth gets dry, drink plenty of water and chew sugarless gum or suck on hard candy. Let your doctor know if this problem persists or is severe.

Zyprexa can make you extra sensitive to extremes in temperature. Take care not to get overheated or dehydrated, and don't exercise in the heat. Call your doctor right away if you sweat too much or not at all, feel very hot or thirsty and stop producing urine.

Follow your doctor's orders for taking Zyprexa exactly: Don't take a bigger dose, or take the drug more often, than you're prescribed.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

What are the side effects of olanzapine extended release?
Side effects of olanzapine extended release injectable suspension include dizziness, drowsiness,...
What is olanzapine?
Olanzapine, which is sold under the brand name Zyprexa, is used to treat the psychiatric conditi...
Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
What should I know about olanzapine extended release injections?
Olanzapine extended release injectable suspension should not be used by people who have dementia...