How can I minimize the side effects of Zyprexa Relprevv?

You can minimize the side effects of Zyprexa Relprevv (olanzapine), an injected drug that treats symptoms of schizophrenia, by understanding its risks and working closely with your doctor if you have any worrisome symptoms. Because of the danger of a side effect called post-injection delirium/sedation syndrome, or PDSS -- which can include sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, seizures and coma -- you cannot get this medication unless you and your healthcare providers are enrolled in a special risk reduction program, the Zyprexa Relprevv Patient Care Program. As part of this program, you will receive your injection in a healthcare facility, and a healthcare professional will observe you for three hours after each injection.

Because Zyprexa Relprevv may raise your blood sugar or cholesterol levels and make you gain weight, your doctor may want to monitor you regularly. To minimize your risks, follow his or her directions closely.

Zyprexa Relprevv can make you dizzy or lightheaded when you rise from a sitting or reclining position or even make you faint. You can minimize this risk by taking care while changing position. This medication can also make it hard for you to regulate your body temperature. Make sure to avoid dehydration or overheating. Zyprexa Relprevv can also affect your motor skills and ability to think clearly, so you should not drive until you know how this drug affects you. You should also avoid drinking alcohol while you're on Zyprexa Relprevv because it can heighten some of its side effects.

To reduce the risk of dangerous drug interactions, give your doctor a list of all your other medications (prescription and over-the-counter), as well as any supplements you take, before you start Zyprexa Relprevv. Once you're on Zyprexa Relprevv, talk to your doctor before you start any new medications or supplements or stop taking any that you're on.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

What are the side effects of olanzapine?
Olanzapine can cause side effects, some of which may be serious. You also should seek emergency ...
Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
Can I give olanzapine to my teenager?
Can my elderly parent take olanzapine for dementia-related psychosis?