Can I give olanzapine to my teenager?

Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to control symptoms of schizophrenia, such as delusions, hallucinations, unusual thinking and strange or unpredictable behavior and emotions. It is also used to control depression and mania in people with bipolar disorder (manic depressive disorder).

Olanzapine is approved for adolescents 13 and older, but the degree of side effects may be more than in their adult counterparts. Adolescents were likely to gain more weight, become drowsy and have higher total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, prolactin and liver enzyme levels. The safety and effectiveness of olanzapine in children younger than 13 years of age has not been established.

Continue Learning about Olanzapine

Can my elderly parent take olanzapine for dementia-related psychosis?
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It is used to ...
Can I take olanzapine during pregnancy?
Can I breast-feed while taking olanzapine?
Can I smoke while taking olanzapine?