What causes ocular rosacea?

Ocular rosacea often accompanies rosacea in other areas of your face, and the exact cause of rosacea is unknown. However, certain substances or conditions can bring out rosacea. If you have ocular rosacea, you should avoid potential irritants. These include things that may make a person blush or otherwise inflame blood vessels, such as:

• foods that are spicy, extremely hot, or high in caffeine
  • weather conditions, such as too much sunlight, heat, or cold
  • alcohol
  • certain cosmetics or medications.

Rosacea and ocular rosacea tend to occur more commonly in people with fair skin, so genetics also plays a role in causing the condition.

Continue Learning about Ocular Rosacea

Is ocular rosacea contagious?
Ocular rosacea is not contagious, so you do not need to worry if you have been near someone with the...
What is ocular rosacea?
Ocular rosacea is a condition that causes watery, bloodshot eyes that may sting or itch and feel d...
Should I talk to my doctor about my ocular rosacea symptoms?
If you have symptoms of ocular rosacea, you should talk to your doctor. You may need medication pres...
Can ocular rosacea be prevented?
Since the cause of ocular rosacea is unknown, there is no absolute way to prevent an outbreak. Howev...