What causes occipital neuralgia?

Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Occipital neuralgia is believed to be due to irritation of one of the occipital nerves in the upper neck/back of the head. In most cases, no specific cause can be found. Many cases are believed to be related to chronic muscle spasm in the neck. Occipital neuralgia may be seen after neck injuries such as experienced in rear end car collisions. Rarely, a tumor could compress the nerve.

You have a pair of occipital nerves running from the back of your neck to your scalp. When one of these nerves gets damaged or becomes aggravated, it can cause occipital neuralgia. The cause of the condition can be hard to determine, but the following factors may play a role:

• pinched nerves;
  • neck injury or injury to the back of the head;
  • tight muscles;
  • osteoarthritis;
  • gout;
  • surgery;
  • infection;
  • diabetes;
  • tumors;
  • swelling of blood vessels.

Continue Learning about Occipital Neuralgia

Is there a cure for occipital neuralgia?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Occipital neuralgia is not a life-threatening condition. Many individuals improve with therapy invol...
How do medications treat occipital neuralgia?
Medications can treat occipital neuralgia by providing pain relief, helping your muscles relax, and ...
How do I care for someone with occipital neuralgia?
Often, there is little you can do for someone with occipital neuralgia. One way you can help is to m...
Should I see a doctor about my occipital neuralgia symptoms?
If you believe you are experiencing symptoms of occipital neuralgia, it is a good idea to see your d...