What are the symptoms of occipital neuralgia?

The main symptom of occipital neuralgia is severe pain in the back of your head and scalp. It is often described as an excruciating headache. More specifically, pain symptomatic of occipital neuralgia can occur in your neck, behind your ears, behind your eyes, and sometimes, in your forehead. The pain is often described as  being like an electric shock; it may also be sharp or throbbing. Usually, only one side of the head or scalp is affected. People with occipital neuralgia may also find that their eyes are more sensitive to light and their scalps are tender.

Continue Learning about Occipital Neuralgia

How do I manage my occipital neuralgia on a daily basis?
Managing your occipital neuralgia on a daily basis can be difficult. The pain is often severe, and e...
Can occipital neuralgia be prevented?
Some cases of occipital neuralgia can be prevented while other cannot. Most factors that cause the c...
How is occipital neuralgia diagnosed?
Occipital neuralgia is diagnosed using an occipital nerve block. A doctor will use a needle to injec...
What increases my risk for occipital neuralgia?
Your risk for occipital neuralgia can increase if you have a head or neck injury. Sleeping with your...