Is there a cure for occipital neuralgia?

Occipital neuralgia is not a life-threatening condition. Many individuals improve with therapy involving heat, rest, anti-inflammatory medications, and muscle relaxants. Recovery is usually complete after the bout of pain has ended and the nerve damage repaired or lessened.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

If a doctor is able to accurately diagnose your occipital neuralgia using an occipital nerve block, they may also be able to permanently fix the problem. Most of the time, occipital neuralgia is treated with medication, physical therapy, and other methods, but there are several procedures that have been developed to deaden your occipital nerve. This will eliminate the nerves' ability to cause pain. Procedures include cutting the nerve, burning it with radio-waves, or even killing it by injecting a toxin into it. Unfortunately, any of these procedures may lead to some permanent numbness

Continue Learning about Occipital Neuralgia

Should I see a doctor about my occipital neuralgia symptoms?
If you believe you are experiencing symptoms of occipital neuralgia, it is a good idea to see your d...
What are the treatment options for occipital neuralgia?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Treatment of occipital neuralgia is generally symptomatic and includes massage and rest. In some ca...
Are there any complications of occipital neuralgia?
Occasionally, if you suffer from occipital neuralgia, you may also experience tenderness in your sca...
What increases my risk for occipital neuralgia?
Your risk for occipital neuralgia can increase if you have a head or neck injury. Sleeping with your...