How do medications treat occipital neuralgia?

Medications can treat occipital neuralgia by providing pain relief, helping your muscles relax, and numbing your occipital nerve. When the pain is particularly bad, antidepressants and muscle relaxants may help ease it. Anti-inflammatory medications can also help by reducing inflammation, which can take pressure off your occipital nerve. In some cases, your doctor may use an occipital nerve block to inject anesthetic and steroids into the nerve, numbing it. For a more permanent solution, your doctor can inject a toxin into your occipital nerve to kill it.

Continue Learning about Occipital Neuralgia

What is occipital neuralgia?
Occipital neuralgia is a condition that causes severe pain in the back of your head and scalp. It of...
What are the symptoms of occipital neuralgia?
The main symptom of occipital neuralgia is severe pain in the back of your head and scalp. It is oft...
Should I see a doctor about my occipital neuralgia symptoms?
If you believe you are experiencing symptoms of occipital neuralgia, it is a good idea to see your d...
What increases my risk for occipital neuralgia?
Your risk for occipital neuralgia can increase if you have a head or neck injury. Sleeping with your...