How do medications treat occipital neuralgia?

Medications can treat occipital neuralgia by providing pain relief, helping your muscles relax, and numbing your occipital nerve. When the pain is particularly bad, antidepressants and muscle relaxants may help ease it. Anti-inflammatory medications can also help by reducing inflammation, which can take pressure off your occipital nerve. In some cases, your doctor may use an occipital nerve block to inject anesthetic and steroids into the nerve, numbing it. For a more permanent solution, your doctor can inject a toxin into your occipital nerve to kill it.

Continue Learning about Occipital Neuralgia

Is occipital neuralgia common?
While headaches and pain are both common, the actual condition of occipital neuralgia is not. People...
What causes occipital neuralgia?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Occipital neuralgia is believed to be due to irritation of one of the occipital nerves in the upper ...
How is occipital neuralgia diagnosed?
Occipital neuralgia is diagnosed using an occipital nerve block. A doctor will use a needle to injec...
How do I manage my occipital neuralgia on a daily basis?
Managing your occipital neuralgia on a daily basis can be difficult. The pain is often severe, and e...