How is occipital neuralgia diagnosed?

Occipital neuralgia is diagnosed using an occipital nerve block. A doctor will use a needle to inject a local anesthetic and steroids into the base of your occipital nerve. If the pain goes away, a diagnosis of occipital neuralgia will be made and a more permanent solution can be discussed.

Continue Learning about Occipital Neuralgia

How do I care for someone with occipital neuralgia?
Often, there is little you can do for someone with occipital neuralgia. One way you can help is to m...
How do I manage my occipital neuralgia on a daily basis?
Managing your occipital neuralgia on a daily basis can be difficult. The pain is often severe, and e...
Is there a cure for occipital neuralgia?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Occipital neuralgia is not a life-threatening condition. Many individuals improve with therapy invol...
What is occipital neuralgia?
Occipital neuralgia is a condition that causes severe pain in the back of your head and scalp. It of...