Why should I join a support group if I have obstructive sleep apnea?

If a CPAP is part of your sleep apnea plan, and it probably is, group-based cognitive behavioral therapy will more than double your acceptance and chances of actually putting it to good use. What does this mean to you, exactly? If you join a group of people with sleep apnea, learn about the benefits of use (and the consequences of nonuse) of your CPAP, watch videos of people with sleep apnea, and generally have the support system you need, you are more likely to feel good about using this amazing device.

1. Start with the American Sleep Apnea Association for find a support forum.

2. Learn more about living with sleep apnea.

3. Share what you learn with your immediate family so they provide additional moral support.

Whatever you do, support is available for you. Be sure to build a solid base of people and resources to help you be successful. Your health and happiness depends on it.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What causes obstructive sleep apnea?
Capital Regional Medical CenterCapital Regional Medical Center
Lifestyle-related causes of sleep apnea include alcohol use, obesity and, ironically, the use of pre...
How do I know if I am at risk of having obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you answer yes to 1 or 2 of these questions, you may be at risk for obstructive sleep apnea (...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?