What are some possible complications of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?

Some of the possible complications of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) include:
  • increased risk of hypertension, abnormal heart rhythms, heart attack and stroke
  • decreased physical performance
  • impaired concentration and poor judgment
  • forgetfulness
  • mood swings or behavior changes
  • difficulty managing high blood pressure
  • increased risk for and/or difficulty managing diabetes
Obstructive sleep apnea results in low oxygen levels in the blood, because the blockages prevent air from getting to the lungs. The low oxygen levels also affect brain and heart function. OSA is more common than asthma in adults, and up to two-thirds of the people who have obstructive sleep apnea are overweight.

For those who have OSA, elevated levels of pro-inflammatory markers in the body can directly worsen the problem. Those with more than twenty apneas (complete obstructions) per hour of sleep may have a greater risk of dying from cardiac rhythm and rate disturbances, and complications of high blood pressure such as stroke and heart attacks, than do people with fewer apneas.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

There are many possible complications of sleep apnea. People with sleep apnea tend to be overly tired and have trouble concentrating, which can lead to trouble such as traffic accidents. Serious problems like high blood pressure, stroke, and heart failure can also result from untreated sleep apnea. Additionally, people with sleep apnea may experience post-surgical complications.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Can obstructive sleep apnea cause stroke?
Stroke is typically not associated with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). However, people with untreate...
What are some of the causes of obstructive sleep apnea in children?
Some children develop obstructive sleep apnea. In children, sleep apnea can be caused by adenoids or...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?