What are some possible complications of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?

There are many possible complications of sleep apnea. People with sleep apnea tend to be overly tired and have trouble concentrating, which can lead to trouble such as traffic accidents. Serious problems like high blood pressure, stroke, and heart failure can also result from untreated sleep apnea. Additionally, people with sleep apnea may experience post-surgical complications.

Obstructive sleep apnea results in low oxygen levels in the blood, because the blockages prevent air from getting to the lungs. The low oxygen levels also affect brain and heart function. OSA is more common than asthma in adults, and up to two-thirds of the people who have obstructive sleep apnea are overweight.

For those who have OSA, elevated levels of pro-inflammatory markers in the body can directly worsen the problem. Those with more than twenty apneas (complete obstructions) per hour of sleep may have a greater risk of dying from cardiac rhythm and rate disturbances, and complications of high blood pressure such as stroke and heart attacks, than do people with fewer apneas.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...
Some of the possible complications of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) include:
  • increased risk of hypertension, abnormal heart rhythms, heart attack and stroke
  • decreased physical performance
  • impaired concentration and poor judgment
  • forgetfulness
  • mood swings or behavior changes
  • difficulty managing high blood pressure
  • increased risk for and/or difficulty managing diabetes

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Are older people more likely to have obstructive sleep apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea affects many people. Older people are especially likely to have obstructive ...
How is obstructive sleep apnea diagnosed?
If your doctor suspects you have sleep apnea, they may suggest you go to a sleep laboratory. At the ...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?