How do I know if I am at risk of having obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?

If you answer yes to 1 or 2 of these questions, you may be at risk for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). If you answer yes to 3 questions, your risk is high.
  • Snoring? Do you snore louder than talking or loud enough to be heard through closed doors?
  • Tired? Do you feel tired during the day, even after a "good" night's sleep?
  • Observed breathing interruption while sleeping? Has anyone ever seen you stop breathing while you're sleeping?
  • Pressure: High blood pressure? Do you have high blood pressure, or are you being treated for it?
  • Body mass index (BMI) over 35? Do you weigh more than you should for your height?
  • Age: Over 50? Your risk for OSA increases as you get older.
  • Neck size: Large? Does your neck measure more than 15 3/4 inches around? (Even higher risk is over 16 inches for women, or 17 inches for men.)
  • Gender: Male? OSA is more common in men than in women.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What are some of the causes of obstructive sleep apnea in children?
Some children develop obstructive sleep apnea. In children, sleep apnea can be caused by adenoids or...
Are older people more likely to have obstructive sleep apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea affects many people. Older people are especially likely to have obstructive ...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?