How do I manage my obstructive sleep apnea on a daily basis?

Obstructive sleep apnea is managed by three ways. 

• Surgery: There are various types of surgery with each having its advantage and disadvantage.
  • CPAP: A machine that blows air through the mouth and or nose to keep the airway open during sleep.
  • An oral device that holds the lower jaw forward during sleep to keep the airway from collapsing.

It is best managed by a sleep physician who can discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

If you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should follow your doctor's instructions on a daily basis. This may mean losing weight, not smoking or drinking too much alcohol, or changing the position in which you sleep at night. If your doctor recommends that you use CPAP or wear an oral appliance, make sure to do so every time you go to sleep.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a chronic condition that occurs when the muscles that keep the airw...
How can I get a good sleep if I have obstructive sleep apnea?
Dr. John Van der Werff, DDSDr. John Van der Werff, DDS
It depends on the severity of the sleep apnea. With some people raising their head and staying off t...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?