How do I manage my obstructive sleep apnea on a daily basis?

If you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should follow your doctor's instructions on a daily basis. This may mean losing weight, not smoking or drinking too much alcohol, or changing the position in which you sleep at night. If your doctor recommends that you use CPAP or wear an oral appliance, make sure to do so every time you go to sleep.

Obstructive sleep apnea is managed by three ways. 

• Surgery: There are various types of surgery with each having its advantage and disadvantage.
  • CPAP: A machine that blows air through the mouth and or nose to keep the airway open during sleep.
  • An oral device that holds the lower jaw forward during sleep to keep the airway from collapsing.

It is best managed by a sleep physician who can discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type of sleep apnea, caused by blockage of the upper airw...
Is obstructive sleep apnea a sleep disorder?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a sleep disorder. It happens when the soft tissue in the back of your...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?