What are the health risks of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?

Problems or medical complications associated with untreated sleep apnea may include:

• Systemic hypertension - high blood pressure which causes an increased risk of heart disease, strokes, kidney failure, and poor circulation
  • Left heart failure - inability of the heart to pump the blood adequately causing shortness of breath, fatigue, and poor ability to exercise
  • Pulmonary hypertension - elevated blood pressure in the lungs, associated with shortness of breath, chest pain, and increased mortality
  • Arrhythmias - irregularity of the heart rate
  • Ischemic heart disease - angina pectoris (chest pain) and heart attacks (myocardial infarction) caused by an insufficient supply of blood to the heart
  • Stroke - damage to the brain caused by blockage of blood flow or bleeding
  • increased mortality
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS)
Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Is obstructive sleep apnea a sleep disorder?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a sleep disorder. It happens when the soft tissue in the back of your...
What causes obstructive sleep apnea?
Capital Regional Medical CenterCapital Regional Medical Center
Lifestyle-related causes of sleep apnea include alcohol use, obesity and, ironically, the use of pre...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?