What type of doctor specializes in obstructive sleep apnea?

Several types of doctors specialize in sleep disorders. Begin with a visit to your family practitioner or internist. They may refer you to an ear, nose, and throat doctor (otolaryngologist) to make sure there are no blockages interferring with your sleep. You might also be sent to a sleep center for further evaluation.

Certain neurologists, pulmonologists (lung doctor), and otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor) specialize in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.  
There are several types of doctors trained to treat obstructive sleep apnea. Typically, doctors who specialize in obstructive sleep apnea are pulmonologists, or lung doctors. There are also general internists, who specialize in sleep medicine after receiving additional training. Because sleep apnea can involve multiple parts of the body, it is not uncommon to see other specialties, such as cardiologists (heart doctors) or ear, nose, and throat specialists, who are also involved in management of sleep apnea.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

How can I get a good sleep if I have obstructive sleep apnea?
Dr. John Van der Werff, DDSDr. John Van der Werff, DDS
It depends on the severity of the sleep apnea. With some people raising their head and staying off t...
Is obstructive sleep apnea a sleep disorder?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a sleep disorder. It happens when the soft tissue in the back of your...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?