What is obstructive lung disease?

Obstructive lung disease is a condition in which your airway is blocked, making it difficult to empty air from the lungs and take fresh air in. This leads to trouble with breathing and to tiredness. Obstructive lung diseases include asthma, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). COPD usually occurs with chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Lung Diseases

How do I care for someone with obstructive lung disease?
When caring for someone with obstructive lung disease, remember to offer both emotional and physical...
When does obstructive lung disease begin to develop?
Obstructive lung disease usually begins developing in the mid 40s. The first symptom is usually mild...
What is the rate of incidence for obstructive lung disease?
Obstructive lung disease is a very common illness. Approximately 12 million Americans have the disea...
What increases my risk for obstructive lung disease?
Smoking cigarettes significantly increases your risk for obstructive lung disease. Exposure to secon...