Can obstructive lung disease be prevented?

Since the primary cause of obstructive lung disease is smoking cigarettes, the best way to prevent the disease is by not smoking, and to quit if you are a smoker. Also take the necessary steps to avoid secondhand smoke. Avoiding chemical toxins and air pollution as much as possible will also help prevent obstructive lung disease. You may need to wear a face mask if you live or work in environments with heavy toxins in the air.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Lung Diseases

Does obstructive lung disease affect children differently than adults?
Obstructive lung disease, which is mainly caused from smoking cigarettes, is extremely rare in child...
What increases my risk for obstructive lung disease?
Smoking cigarettes significantly increases your risk for obstructive lung disease. Exposure to secon...
How do I care for someone with obstructive lung disease?
When caring for someone with obstructive lung disease, remember to offer both emotional and physical...
What is obstructive lung disease?
Obstructive lung disease is a condition in which your airway is blocked, making it difficult to empt...