What increases my risk for obstructive lung disease?

Smoking cigarettes significantly increases your risk for obstructive lung disease. Exposure to secondhand smoke also increases your risk. Air pollution and breathing in toxic chemicals over a long period of time are also risk factors. In rare cases, acid reflux disease and genetics can cause a person to develop obstructive lung disease.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Lung Diseases

When does obstructive lung disease begin to develop?
Obstructive lung disease usually begins developing in the mid 40s. The first symptom is usually mild...
Who is most at risk for obstructive lung disease?
Since smoking cigarettes is the main factor in the development of obstructive lung disease, smokers ...
What is obstructive lung disease?
Obstructive lung disease is a condition in which your airway is blocked, making it difficult to empt...
How do I care for someone with obstructive lung disease?
When caring for someone with obstructive lung disease, remember to offer both emotional and physical...