Why do people get obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

OCD sometimes runs in families, but no one knows for sure why some people have it, while others don't. When chemicals in the brain are not at a certain level it may result in OCD. Medications can often help the brain chemicals stay at the correct levels.

To improve treatment, scientists are studying how well different medicines and therapies work. In one kind of research, people with OCD choose to take part in a clinical trial to help physicians find out what treatments work best for most people, or what works best for different symptoms. Usually, the treatment is free. Scientists are learning more about how the brain works, so that they can discover new treatments.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
How is cognitive behavioral therapy used to treat OCD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is used to treat obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) by changing ...
What have we learned from brain imaging of OCD patients?
Wayne K. Goodman, MDWayne K. Goodman, MD
Brain imaging has uncovered some understanding of obsessive compulsive disorder. Wayne Goodman, MD, ...
How Is OCD Diagnosed?
How Is OCD Diagnosed?