Why do people get obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

OCD sometimes runs in families, but no one knows for sure why some people have it, while others don't. When chemicals in the brain are not at a certain level it may result in OCD. Medications can often help the brain chemicals stay at the correct levels.

To improve treatment, scientists are studying how well different medicines and therapies work. In one kind of research, people with OCD choose to take part in a clinical trial to help physicians find out what treatments work best for most people, or what works best for different symptoms. Usually, the treatment is free. Scientists are learning more about how the brain works, so that they can discover new treatments.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Say No to Nail Biting
Say No to Nail Biting
World War Z ($202 million), What Lies Beneath ($155 million) and Gremlins ($148 million) are the all-time, top-grossing nail-biters in North America, ...
How does obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) affect thinking?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
With obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), certain thoughts can become overwhelming: for example,...
What emotions do people with OCD often experience?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The following are emotions that people with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) often experience: ...
If My Child Has Been Diagnosed with OCD, What Does the Family Need to Know?