Who is affected by obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

Obsessive-compulsive disorder often begins in adolescence or early adulthood, but can also first occur in childhood. OCD affects men and women equally, and appears to run in families. It is not unusual for other anxiety disorders, depression, eating disorders, or substance abuse to accompany OCD. People may avoid situations in which they might have to confront their obsessions, or try unsuccessfully to use alcohol or drugs to calm themselves.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
What is the link between perfectionism and obsessive-compulsive disorder?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
While perfectionism is a personality trait found in many people, including those without anxiety dis...
How is cognitive behavioral therapy used to treat OCD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is used to treat obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) by changing ...
What Is the Future of OCD Research?
What Is the Future of OCD Research?