What is the difference between obsessions and compulsions in OCD?

Obsessions are intrusive, unwanted, resisted thoughts that are disturbing to the patient with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). They are different from the negative thoughts or "ruminations" of a depression in that they are not primarily focused on some negative or depressed content. Compulsions are behaviors that one feels one must do over and over, despite that they become time consuming, interrupt daily functioning, and serve little or no useful purpose.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
How does obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) affect thinking?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
With obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), certain thoughts can become overwhelming: for example,...
What kinds of compulsions might someone with OCD have?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
With obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), compulsions are things people think they have to do to get...
If My Child Has OCD, Will He Always Have It?