What is the difference between obsessions and compulsions in OCD?

Obsessions are intrusive, unwanted, resisted thoughts that are disturbing to the patient with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). They are different from the negative thoughts or "ruminations" of a depression in that they are not primarily focused on some negative or depressed content. Compulsions are behaviors that one feels one must do over and over, despite that they become time consuming, interrupt daily functioning, and serve little or no useful purpose.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
As a teen, what is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a condition that is really all about unwanted thoughts, obsessions,...
What is obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Dr. Wayne K. Goodman, MDDr. Wayne K. Goodman, MD
Obsessive compulsive disorder, or OCD, is simple to define, but often hard to diagnose, says Wayne G...
When Does an Odd Food Quirk Become a Health Concern?