What are the risk factors for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?

The number one risk factor for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is family history. According to Dr. David Tolin, director of the Anxiety Disorders Center at the Institute of Living, "We know there's a very strong genetic component. It seems to affect men and women in equal numbers. Boys tend to develop this disorder earlier, whereas, girls develop it in later years, or even in early adulthood years."
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) has a strong genetic basis; close relatives of a person with the disorder are six times more likely to have OCD than a person who has no relatives with the condition. Brain imaging scans of people with OCD show increased nerve cell activity in the basal ganglia, an area of the brain that controls motor function. One theory is that damage to this region during childhood or even before birth increases the risk for OCD. This disorder is also common among people with conditions linked to dysfunction in the basal ganglia, such as Tourette syndrome (a condition marked by repeated involuntary sounds and movements, i.e., tics). However, experts don't fully understand how abnormalities of increased activity in the basal ganglia might promote the repetitive thoughts and rituals of OCD.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Say No to Nail Biting
Say No to Nail Biting
World War Z ($202 million), What Lies Beneath ($155 million) and Gremlins ($148 million) are the all-time, top-grossing nail-biters in North America, ...
What emotions do people with OCD often experience?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The following are emotions that people with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) often experience: ...
When should I call my doctor if I have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
If you have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) you should call your doctor any time you feel your s...
What Is the Future of OCD Research?
What Is the Future of OCD Research?