For someone with OCD, can acting out the compulsions be helpful?

With obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), acting out compulsions can seem helpful by making people's worries go away for a while. But the worries come back, and get stronger and stronger over time. People might end up spending a lot of time doing their compulsive actions over and over, and miss out on things that make them happy, like spending time with friends.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Say No to Nail Biting
Say No to Nail Biting
World War Z ($202 million), What Lies Beneath ($155 million) and Gremlins ($148 million) are the all-time, top-grossing nail-biters in North America, ...
When should I call my doctor if I have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
If you have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) you should call your doctor any time you feel your s...
How is cognitive behavioral therapy used to treat OCD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is used to treat obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) by changing ...
How Important Is Proper Sleep and Diet for a Child with OCD?