For someone with OCD, can acting out the compulsions be helpful?

With obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), acting out compulsions can seem helpful by making people's worries go away for a while. But the worries come back, and get stronger and stronger over time. People might end up spending a lot of time doing their compulsive actions over and over, and miss out on things that make them happy, like spending time with friends.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
What kinds of compulsions might someone with OCD have?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
With obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), compulsions are things people think they have to do to get...
If I think I have OCD, is it best to hide how I'm feeling?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you think you have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), don’t be tempted to hide how you are feel...
What Have We Learned from Brain Imaging of OCD Patients?