Is picking scabs a sign that I have OCD?

J.Lucy Boyd
Epidemiology

Picking scabs is a sign of dermatillomania, which means obsessive picking at the skin. Sometimes, picking at scabs is simply a habit that you can stop doing. If you find yourself feeling anxious when you try to control your picking, seek an evaluation by a mental health professional. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the standard treatment. In a large city, you may also be able to find group therapy as well.

People with OCD often have dermatillomania (around 23 percent according to the OCD Center of Los Angeles) so it is natural to wonder if someone with dermatillomania also has obsessive-compulsive disorder. The answer lies in whether they have classic OCD symptoms; such as getting worrisome thoughts in their mind that they cannot stop thinking about or compulsively performing actions such as checking a locked door.

It is quite possible to pick scabs but not have OCD. If you cannot stop picking on your own, or find that you develop a new habit to replace the picking, schedule an appointment with a mental health professional as they can help you understand your symptoms and provide you with effective treatment.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Say No to Nail Biting
Say No to Nail Biting
World War Z ($202 million), What Lies Beneath ($155 million) and Gremlins ($148 million) are the all-time, top-grossing nail-biters in North America, ...
When does obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) become serious?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
We all have little "quirks" and eccentricities. Many people have what could be classified as symptom...
What emotions do people with OCD often experience?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The following are emotions that people with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) often experience: ...
If My Child Has Been Diagnosed with OCD, What Does the Family Need to Know?