How is obsessive compulsive disorder in children treated?

Research has provided evidence for two effective obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) treatments in children.

One is medication, most commonly in the form of prescribed selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors. The other -- often used in combination with the medication -- is a particular form of cognitive behavioral therapy called exposure and response prevention. “The child is exposed to the feared thought while resisting engaging in the compulsive behavior, in a graduated fashion -- practicing at first with something that’s just a little bit scary,” R. Lindsey Bergman, PhD explains. A reward system is used to reinforce the child’s attempts at engaging in exposure activities regardless of their success in resisting compulsions. Over time, and with follow-up at home, compulsive behaviors are extinguished, as the exposures demonstrate that negative consequences do not result when the compulsive behavior or ritual is resisted.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
How common is obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) affects around three in 100 people. OCD can affect anyone at any...
Can I worry too much about being clean?
Although good hygiene is important, worrying too much about being clean can be a problem. There is s...
What Is Considered Mild, Moderate and Severe OCD?