How can obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) affect a child?

As with adults, childhood obsessive-compulsive disorder consists of intrusive, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) that cause mounting tension that is sometimes relieved by repetitive actions (compulsions). The obsessions often involve a fear of some calamity, such as contracting a disease or the death of a parent. While adults with the disorder are usually aware that their symptoms are irrational and strange, even though they can't stop them, children lack this perspective and don't question the validity of their fears or the compulsive rituals they follow to cope with these thoughts.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
For someone with OCD, can acting out the compulsions be helpful?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
With obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), acting out compulsions can seem helpful by making people's...
What is the future of OCD research?
Wayne K. Goodman, MDWayne K. Goodman, MD
Physicians are starting to understand the causes of OCD and develop better therapies for the conditi...
How Important Is the Family Structure in Understanding and Treating OCD?