How common is obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?

Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) affects around three in 100 people. OCD can affect anyone at any age.

Dr. Michael J. Mufson, MD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

About 2.2 million American adults have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). OCD strikes men and women in roughly equal numbers. The disorder is most common among adolescents and young adults, although it sometimes begins in childhood. In males, the disorder usually starts about ages 6 to 15; in females, about ages 20 to 29. People who've had an injury or infection of the brain are at greater risk for OCD.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
When does obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) start?
For many people, OCD starts during childhood or the teen years. Most people are diagnosed at about a...
What have we learned from brain imaging of OCD patients?
Wayne K. Goodman, MDWayne K. Goodman, MD
Brain imaging has uncovered some understanding of obsessive compulsive disorder. Wayne Goodman, MD, ...
If My Child Has OCD, Will He Always Have It?