How is cognitive behavioral therapy used to treat OCD?

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is used to treat obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) by changing the way people think and act.

"Cognitive" means how people think, and "behavioral" means what they do. A CBT therapist will explain OCD and help people with OCD make a list of all their worries, from the smallest to the largest. The therapist will then show them how to fight back against OCD, one worry at a time, by letting them feel anxious without doing their compulsion. The worry goes up—and then comes down. This is repeated until that thing no longer causes the person to worry. Once people start fighting back against OCD, they feel stronger and in charge of their lives again.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
How common is obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) affects around three in 100 people. OCD can affect anyone at any...
How many people have OCD?
Wayne K. Goodman, MDWayne K. Goodman, MD
Many people with obsessive-compulstive disorder (OCD) never get treatment because of taboos about me...
If My Child Has OCD, Will He Always Have It?