Can strep throat cause obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

OCD may be related to a common type of infectious disease -- the group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections, which include strep throat and scarlet fever. Antibodies recruited by the immune system to defeat these bacteria can attack the body's own tissues, damaging the heart and inflaming the joints. There are signs that, especially in children, these antibodies can also infiltrate the brain -- the basal ganglia, in particular -- causing what is awkwardly named "pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections," or PANDAS. The symptoms of this controversial diagnosis include obsessive thinking and compulsive behavior.

There is additional evidence that these symptoms can appear soon after a streptococcus infection. In a study of children ages 4 to 13 that compared healthy children with those who had OCD, Tourette syndrome, and tic disorders, researchers found a high rate of strep infections in the three months before symptoms of these conditions appeared. A child who suffered several infections of the group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal type had nearly 14 times the average risk of developing OCD or related disorders in the following year.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
What is the difference between obsessions and compulsions in OCD?
Thomas JensenThomas Jensen
Obsessions are intrusive, unwanted, resisted thoughts that are disturbing to the patient with ob...
What is the biological basis for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
The biological basis for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is in the central nervous system. The h...
What Have We Learned from Brain Imaging of OCD Patients?