What is the biological basis for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?

The biological basis for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is in the central nervous system. The human thinking process takes us from the very front of the brain, known as the prefrontal cortex, to an area called the caudate nucleus, part of the basal ganglia, which plays a role in switching gears from one thought to another. Called the "worry circuit," this route is responsible for habit formation. In brain imaging studies of OCD patients, this pathway differs from "healthy" brains; it is unclear exactly what kind of neural coding is responsible for OCD symptoms or their resolution. Research has also shown that levels of serotonin, the neurotransmitter that can help keep obsessive thoughts at bay, is lower in OCD patients.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
When does obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) become serious?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
We all have little "quirks" and eccentricities. Many people have what could be classified as symptom...
Can I worry too much about being clean?
Although good hygiene is important, worrying too much about being clean can be a problem. There is s...
What Is Cognititve Behavioral Therapy for OCD?