How is obsessive compulsive disorder treated in bipolar patients?

Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) plus bipolar disorder is, in my view, the psychopharmacologist's Mount Everest. When we have to use medications for OCD, the only ones that work very well are serotonin antidepressants (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors [SSRIs] or Anafranil). Sometimes the atypical antipsychotics also can play a role. In order to avoid inducing manias, mixed states, and rapid cycling, we try to make as much progress as possible with a cognitive behavioral therapy called graded exposure and response prevention. In this therapy, one intentionally exposes oneself to stimuli that would ordinarily induce the desire to engage in a compulsion. Then one uses relaxation techniques to resist the urge to do the compulsion. Most patients find that if they do this, with lots of practice, they can ride out the urge to enact the compulsion and it passes. Similarly, a technique called thought stopping can be used to deal with obsessions.

However, there are lots of patients with bipolar disorder and OCD who also require medications. My personal approach is to be sure I have a rock stable mood by using mood stabilizers optimally, and then introducing Anafranil. One can also use other SSRIs, but my experience with them is that they are typically highly destabilizing for bipolar patients.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Treatment

What is behavior therapy for OCD?
Wayne K. Goodman, MDWayne K. Goodman, MD
Behavior therapy for obsessive compulsive disorder focuses on the here and now. In this video, Wayne...
Is there any help for obsessive-compulsive disorder(OCD)?
There is help for people with OCD. The first step is to go to a doctor or health clinic to talk abou...
Is Behavior Therapy or Drug Therapy Best for OCD?
Are OCD and Tourette’s Syndrome Linked?
Are OCD and Tourette’s Syndrome Linked?