Who is considered obese?

Obesity is is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater. BMI is calculated using your height and weight; the formula is easily found online. BMI is a rough estimation and is not always accurate in people who have very high amounts of muscle mass such as bodybuilders or athletes. However, it is mostly accurate for the general population. If your BMI is between 26 and 29 you are considered overweight. You may want to discuss weight loss options including diet and exercise with your doctor if you are overweight or obese.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Gaining Weight for No Reason? Check This Out
You're eating right and working out, yet your pants keep getting tighter. What's the deal? Could be your thyroid. A sluggish thyroid -- even one that...
What can I do about my hypothalamic obesity?
If you have been diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity by a physician you should follow his or her...
What changes will I need to make after weight loss surgery?
Weight loss surgeries are major surgeries that, like skydiving and elevator sex, have as many risks ...
What Should the Government Do to Solve the Obesity Problem?