What’s the best way to talk to a loved one about his or her weight?

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
The best way to talk to your kids - or your spouse or friend - is to move from “you” language to “I” language. Saying, “maybe you shouldn’t eat that,” actually makes people struggling with weight feel judged and makes things worse. But saying, “I feel worried about your health. Is there anything I can do,” lets them know you’re going to be there & you’ll be supportive.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Is Obesity Draining your Brain Power?
Is Obesity Draining your Brain Power?
Need some extra motivation to take off those excess pounds? We’ve got it for you! A report reveals, for the first time, that there’s a direct link bet...
What is normal weight obesity?
Heidi Skolnik, MSHeidi Skolnik, MS
Normal weight obesity is when you look like you're a normal weight, but you actually have more fat t...
6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk
6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk
You knew overeating and inactivity can up your odds—but the list doesn't end there.
How Can Government Fight Childhood Obesity?