What’s the best way to talk to a loved one about his or her weight?

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
The best way to talk to your kids - or your spouse or friend - is to move from “you” language to “I” language. Saying, “maybe you shouldn’t eat that,” actually makes people struggling with weight feel judged and makes things worse. But saying, “I feel worried about your health. Is there anything I can do,” lets them know you’re going to be there & you’ll be supportive.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Debunking the Healthy Fat Myth
Debunking the Healthy Fat Myth
William “Refrigerator” Perry weighed 382 pounds when he helped the Chicago Bears win the 1986 Super Bowl. If anyone could pull off “fat, but healthy,”...
What percentage of Americans are overweight?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Citizens of the world's richest countries are getting fatter and fatter, and the Americans are leadi...
Can morbid obesity be treated through diet alone?
Treating morbid obesity through diet alone is not recommended. A healthy and safe calorie-restricted...
What Is the Health Impact of Obesity?
What Is the Health Impact of Obesity?