What are the problems associated with being obese?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Being obese puts you at greater risk of contracting type 2 diabetes and other illnesses. “Obesity is associated with more than 30 medical conditions, and scientific evidence has established a strong relationship with at least 15 of those conditions,” says the American Obesity Association (AOA). Its list of these conditions includes:

-Arthritis (osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis)

-Cancers (among them, cancer of the breast, colon, and esophagus)

-Cardiovascular disease

-Carpal tunnel syndrome

-Deep vein thrombosis (a blood clot in a lower leg, for example)

-End stage renal disease (total or almost total kidney failure)

-Gallbladder disease

-Hypertension

-Infertility

-Liver disease

-Low back pain

-Obstetric and gynecologic complications

-Pancreatitis

-Sleep apnea

-Stroke

-Urinary stress incontinence
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Obesity

When It Comes to Body Fat, It's All About Location
If you're overweight, the extra fat is sure to manifest itself in some outward side effects, like a lack of energy or self-esteem. But many of the ris...
What changes will I need to make after weight loss surgery?
Weight loss surgeries are major surgeries that, like skydiving and elevator sex, have as many risks ...
What are common questions a family doctor gets from both men and women?
Patients frequently ask family doctors questions related to improving their overall health. It's com...
Is Obesity a Disease?
Is Obesity a Disease?