What is the rate of incidence for obesity?

Obesity remains a serious issue in the U.S., where the rate of obese adults continues to climb, according to a survey from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index. The annual survey shows that the percentage of obese adults in the U.S. has increased to 27.7% in 2014, up from 25.5% in 2008.

This data represents the highest obesity rate in the seven years that Gallup and Healthways have carried out the survey. What’s more, the greatest increase in obesity -- up four percentage points to 27.4% -- was reported by those ages 65 and older, according to survey results.

The next highest spike was in the 45-to-64 age group, where obesity rates climbed 3.5 percentage points to a whopping 33%, according to study results.

Unfortunately, slightly over 68 percent of Americans are overweight.

Among these individuals, approximately 34 percent are considered obese. Being overweight/obese increases the risk of heart disease, certain cancers, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, which are among the leading causes of death among Americans.

Jack D. Potter
Fitness

Obesity in adults is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater. 34% of American adults were obese in 2008, up from 31% in 1999. That is almost 73 million people 30  pounds or more over weight. From 1993 to 2008 obesity in American has increased 85%. If obesity continues to rise at the current rate in 10 years 43% of Americans adults will be obese. Extra weight increases the risk of diabetes, heart disease, many types of cancer was well as other health problems. Americans who are obese cost the country an estimated $147 billion in weight-related medical bills.

Obesity was relatively stable in the U.S. between 1960 and 1980 when about 15% of people fell into the category, and then it increased dramatically in the '80s and '90s.

32.2% of men are obese, up from 27% in 1999.

35.5% of women are obese compared with 33.4% in 1999

Overall, about 31.7% of kids are obese or overweight, compared with 29% in 1999

18% of adolescents (12-19) are obese

19.6% of kids (6-11) are obese

Obesity affects more than one in every three adults in the United States. Statistics show that approximately 36 percent of adults in the United States are obese, while 17 percent of U.S. children are obese. Obesity is also more common in the elderly, certain ethnicities such as African Americans, Hispanics, and Pacific Islanders, and those who have quit smoking.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Global Epidemic: More People Obese Than Underweight
It’s not news that obesity is a national problem, but a study published in The Lancet reveals it’s a global problem too. For the first time in history...
What can I do about my hypothalamic obesity?
If you have been diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity by a physician you should follow his or her...
When should I seek immediate help if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, seek immediate help or call 911 if: you have a rash, hives, swelling, itchy skin o...
How Do We Promote Healthy Changes?
How Do We Promote Healthy Changes?