What health problems can obesity cause?

Obesity causes many diseases, including strokes, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Obesity is not just excess weight and difficulty moving, it is a disorder that affects the entire body, putting you at risk. If your body mass index (BMI) is 25 to 30, you have an increase in risk for type 2 diabetes, gallstone disease, high blood pressure and heart disease.

If you are considered overweight by the BMI category, you are still at risk for many diseases.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Best Support for Your Health
The Best Support for Your Health
If you’re one of the 29 million North American adults with diabetes, 79 million with pre-diabetes, 32 million with elevated total cholesterol, 78...
What can I do about my hypothalamic obesity?
If you have been diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity by a physician you should follow his or her...
How does obesity affect lifespan?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Severe obesity -- having a BMI (body mass index) of over 40 -- can shorten lifespan by 14 years. Res...
Is Our Environment Causing Obesity?
Is Our Environment Causing Obesity?