What health problems can obesity cause?

Obesity causes many diseases, including strokes, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Obesity is not just excess weight and difficulty moving, it is a disorder that affects the entire body, putting you at risk. If your body mass index (BMI) is 25 to 30, you have an increase in risk for type 2 diabetes, gallstone disease, high blood pressure and heart disease.

If you are considered overweight by the BMI category, you are still at risk for many diseases.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Could You Have Prediabetes Without Knowing It?
In Tom Cruise’s 2013 Jack Harper movie, Oblivion, it’s hard to know who was less hip to what was going on—Earth’s beleaguered inhabitants or their sup...
How can I stay healthy if I'm overweight?
The surprising fact is that just being overweight won't do you much harm if you do not make poor...
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
Don't make someone feel small just because they're a bit bigger.
Obesity and the Decline of Healthy Eating