What is a good way to encourage people who are obese to lose weight?

People suffering with obesity are less encouraged to diet and exercise if they have been shamed for their weight. This is true even for doctors who try to shame people into healthier lifestyles. The goal should be to speak about better health through weight loss in a nonjudgmental way. Doctors should avoid overwhelming people who are heavy and suggest realistic first steps. It’s important to be encouraging to obese people who try to become healthier, especially in the gym. Be sensitive and welcoming to those making their first steps into the fitness lifestyle.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Debunking the Healthy Fat Myth
Debunking the Healthy Fat Myth
William “Refrigerator” Perry weighed 382 pounds when he helped the Chicago Bears win the 1986 Super Bowl. If anyone could pull off “fat, but healthy,”...
What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with...
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
Don't make someone feel small just because they're a bit bigger.
Understanding the Obesity Pandemic
Understanding the Obesity Pandemic