What is a good way to encourage people who are obese to lose weight?

People suffering with obesity are less encouraged to diet and exercise if they have been shamed for their weight. This is true even for doctors who try to shame people into healthier lifestyles. The goal should be to speak about better health through weight loss in a nonjudgmental way. Doctors should avoid overwhelming people who are heavy and suggest realistic first steps. It’s important to be encouraging to obese people who try to become healthier, especially in the gym. Be sensitive and welcoming to those making their first steps into the fitness lifestyle.

Continue Learning about Obesity

How Your Diet Now Can Affect Your Future Children
In 2007, the heaviest woman ever to give birth weighed in at 532 pounds and it took 30 doctors to perform the C-section. While she’s an extreme ex...
When should I seek immediate help if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, seek immediate help or call 911 if: you have a rash, hives, swelling, itchy skin o...
What causes obesity?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Obesity is a complex disorder involving an excessive amount of body fat, and usually results from a ...
How Can Government Fight Childhood Obesity?