What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with during abdominal operations. The more fat you have, the more difficult the operation is for the surgeon. Excessive fatty tissue impairs access to the surgical site. It can also make the surgery itself—the cutting of tissue—more complex. Operations on obese patients tend to take longer for these and other reasons.

On the other hand, some studies have shown that surgical outcomes may be better for patients who are overweight. Extra fat may be a bit of physiological buffer against the trauma of surgery. And being underweight is definitely a problem for surgical patients if they've lost weight because of cancer or malnutrition.

But your general health matters more than whether you are carrying a few extra pounds. Diabetes, kidney problems, lung and heart disease—they can all make surgery more risky.

Continue Learning about Obesity

What Is Normal Weight Obesity?
What Is Normal Weight Obesity?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?
What Are Some Non-Surgicial Ways to Treat Obesity?
Why Is It Taking So Long to Reform the U.S. Healthcare System?