Can my teen's lack of sleep lead to weight gain?

In a study published in the journal Sleep, researchers determined that teens can’t escape this hard-wired reality that adults are saddled with. Though plenty of studies in recent years have implicated obesity with sleep deprivation in adults, not many have been performed on younger generations to find similar associations. In this latest study sleep-deprived teens:

• consumed 2.2% more calories from fat

• ate more snacks than those who slept eight hours or more a night

• ate more total calories

And you know what that spells: weight gain. When we think of adolescents losing out on sleep, our minds quickly turn to potential accidents, and an inability to concentrate or perform well in school. Studies like this highlight the health consequences of sleep deprivation.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: How Obesity Affects Your Mental Health
Nearly 24 percent of Hawaii’s adults are obese, according to The State of Obesity, a report issued by the Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wo...
What are the BMI risk categories?
Keith Kreitz, MDKeith Kreitz, MD
A healthy body mass index (BMI) risk category is 18.5 to 24.9. When people get to a BMI of 25 to 29....
Why are we fat when our ancestors were thin?
The most common question heard among overweight people isn't: "Can I have more sour cream?" It's: "W...
What Are the Biggest Health Problems In the US Today?