How can being overweight make pain worse?

There is no doubt that living with chronic pain is stressful. Not only does it interrupt your sleep and force you to change your daily routine during painful flares, it can also take a toll on your waistline. My patients have said higher levels of pain leads them to crave comfort food that is salty, sugary, or greasy -- pizza, fudge brownies, or French fries. Especially when pain interferes with your relationships, causes you to miss social events, and literally robs you of quality of life, turning to these comfort foods is normal reaction -- but it’s not going to ease your pain, and it may worsen it! In many cases, the heavier you are, the more pain you may feel. This is particularly true for joint and muscle pain.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Shocking Facts About Obesity You Haven’t Heard Before
You may know there’s an obesity epidemic, but you might not know how truly shocking the numbers are. A 2017 study published in the New England Journal...
How does obesity affect the body?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Obesity affects the body by adding too much weight for your frame, or skeleton, and putting you at r...
How many people die by being overweight or obese?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In this era of an obesity epidemic, interest in dieting is higher than ever before. Obesity is t...
How Can I Slow the Progression of Arthritis?