How can being overweight make pain worse?

There is no doubt that living with chronic pain is stressful. Not only does it interrupt your sleep and force you to change your daily routine during painful flares, it can also take a toll on your waistline. My patients have said higher levels of pain leads them to crave comfort food that is salty, sugary, or greasy -- pizza, fudge brownies, or French fries. Especially when pain interferes with your relationships, causes you to miss social events, and literally robs you of quality of life, turning to these comfort foods is normal reaction -- but it’s not going to ease your pain, and it may worsen it! In many cases, the heavier you are, the more pain you may feel. This is particularly true for joint and muscle pain.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Is Obesity Draining your Brain Power?
Is Obesity Draining your Brain Power?
Need some extra motivation to take off those excess pounds? We’ve got it for you! A report reveals, for the first time, that there’s a direct link bet...
What should I do if I'm morbidly obese?
Nicole Florence, MDNicole Florence, MD
If you are considered to be morbidly obese, it is important to see your physician or a medical weigh...
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
Don't make someone feel small just because they're a bit bigger.
Is Obesity a Disease?
Is Obesity a Disease?