How many people in America are obese?

Approximately 66.3% of American adults are either overweight (defined as having a body mass index [BMI] between 25 and 29.9) or obese (defined as having a BMI of 30 or more), according to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, a nationally representative sample of the U.S. population. The survey found that 32% of Americans are obese, the figure also reported by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Between 1994 and 2004, the percentage of Americans who met the criteria for being overweight rose from 56 to 66%, and the percentage who met the criteria for obesity rose from 23 to 32%. Despite greater awareness of the causes and the consequences of obesity, rates in America are increasing every year.

Continue Learning about Obesity

For Those Overweight, Stress is More Dangerous
It’s like adding insult to injury, receiving a one-two punch, or kicking someone when they’re down: If you’re overweight, your system’s already compro...
What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with...
What is being done to combat obesity in Native American communities?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Native American culture does not view obesity as taboo, believing it to be ordinary and healthy. Thi...
How Do We Fight Obesity?
How Do We Fight Obesity?